Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Daily Show: It's about feeling it!

The first time I attended service a black church was in Harlem, New York, in the late 1980s. Of course, I was struck by the exuberant singing and dancing during the service, and the constant verbal interaction between the preacher and the parishioners; even during the sermon.
Only later, did I realize that this call-and-response culture was a tradition rooted in Africa, and transmitted through centuries to African-Americans. which, to this day I find amazing. And it is not limited to church services as you can see in this great piece on the Daily Show.
Notice not so much what is being said as much as how it is said and the reaction of the women around Representative Marcia Fudge.
Here's a fun teaching moment on black culture, and here's the greatest lesson:  it is not about repeating but about "feelin' it". So enjoy it!




NOTE:Little did I realize that there was so much of Africa in British Parliament!

No comments: